Tuesday, September 2, 2008

wOw aNoThEr DaY?!

Let me tell you a simple story! Way back in the Ching Dynasty lived a very lazy student named Chen Ho. Although he often find excuses to proclaim his belief, for example, not attending school for a week because he feel 'nauseous', he is still a hardworking kid who still hands up his work on time and scores reasonably well in every examination. Later, a rare test was announced for those who would like to become a scholar and work in the palace. It only happens once in 3 years and those who are exceptionally brilliant could only make it. Chen Ho had no worries about the test as he was more than confident of passing with flying colours. But the night before the test, Ching Emperor's main rival Zhu Emperor and his soldiers abruptly burned a village not far from Chen Ho's place and news broke fast among Chen Ho's villagers. Chen Ho believed that due to the 'state of emergency', the examination would not be held. He slept soundly that night, and so was the rest of the village. Chen Ho realized the next day, that he has missed out the opportunity to enter the palace because of his unproved presumption. The test did happen and he regretted for 3 years of his casual belief. -Anecdote
.
I definitely am in some holidaying mood. Since Friday it has been quite interesting, and enjoying the non-uni period. Well somehow the thought came to me that last week the Malaysian Studies lecturer mentioned there would be no lecture this week (Tues early 9am class) so the thought got me excited and to reconfirm, I asked my friends and all were not sure - in fact to be honest, they were more like bemused by my somehow ridiculous approach. Hence, it disheartened me the fact that there is nothing special after all and its early waking up the next day till I concluded that since the make up test takes up an hour of the lecture period, there should be no class and probably there was where I heard about the class cancellation! Hey, self-declared holiday for me today - there you go! This probably is termed self-evident assumption. As you expected, the lecture did happen and now my attendance is below 75% :/ Weak premises definitely do not lead up to a firm conclusion as well. My 'belief' that because of the make up test, and thinking that I really did hear the lecturer declaring class cancellation, there would be no class indeed is invalid and weak. So long people. I'll be in uni tomorrow, no doubt ;)

2 comments:

melissakeong said...

the right side of your brain is working very actively, you're relating your story to the past. how interesting! i sensed a hidden talent within you. =)

hanj said...

thats anecdote. relating a story to your incident. i hope its accurate though. no choice, have to think of sth new before ppl bore out.